(I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO REPEAT THIS ONE MORE TIME——– SO HERE IT IS–)
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) is basically a subset of Environmental Illness (EI), which is caused by living in a toxic world. The chemicals that were synthesized after World War II (including, pesticides, synthetic fragrances, cleaning products, detergents, etc.) are mostly “petro-chemicals” (petroleum based) and are quite toxic to humans. There have been virtually no studies done on the majority of these chemicals to see how they affect humans – the industry just placed the chemicals in the environment with the assumption that they are “safe, till proven toxic”, instead of the other way around. One of the biggest offenders is PERFUME and other scented products. Did you know that many of the ingredients in your perfume are the exact same ingredients found in GASOLINE??!! I didn’t either! The scary thing is that the perfume industry is NOT REGULATED at all – they can put any number of chemicals in fragrance without revealing what those chemicals are – or how they affect humans. We humans are all participating in a giant “lab experiment” against our knowledge and against our will, and it’s making some of us VERY sick.
Those of us who are becoming chronically ill from these chemicals are similar to the “canaries in the coal mine”. Coal miners would take a canary into the mines with them to warn them when the air became toxic. They knew that when the canary stopped singing or died, it was time to get out before it affected them as well. We “human canaries” are here to warn the rest of you that, unless you start making changes and avoid as many toxic chemicals as possible, you too may become very sick. Non toxic living is actually much “simpler” and cheaper!
Don’t be fooled, these chemicals are affecting ALL of us in some way or another. Think about the last time you got a headache for no apparent reason. Could it be possible that someone had recently sprayed perfume or pesticides near you without you knowing it? Had you recently used scented laundry detergent or Clorox to clean with? Do you get headaches or feel nauseous from being around people wearing perfume or cologne? Do you feel you need to hold your breath when you go down the detergent aisle at the grocery store? All these things are your body’s way of telling you something is wrong with the air you’re breathing. While an MBA in health care may help you understand the whys and wherefores of the medical issues it doesn’t take a masters degree to listen to your body and know that things are not right.
It’s like playing “Russian Roulette” – you never know how long your immune system can hold out before breaking down. Some people may never reach the point of “chronic illness” that I did – but most people are being affected, possibly without realizing it. Cancer has increased dramatically since World War II (after all the chemicals came out). Attention Deficit Disorder is on the rise (more and more of our children are being put on toxic, brain-altering drugs like Ritalin when simply cleaning up their environment could solve their problems). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Alzheimer’s Disease, Allergies, Asthma, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, and Multiple Sclerosis are also increasing. All these illnesses could very well have a chemical connection to their cause or, at the very least, these patients would benefit from using less-toxic products. Pretty much any “immune system” disorder could be helped by a cleaner environment and by using safer products.
The products we use on our skin are absorbed directly into the bloodstream (the reason why nitroglycerine, nicotine, and hormone patches work). The chemicals we breathe (such as perfumes, formaldehyde, pesticides, etc.) all go straight to our brains and can cause low-level to severe damage – similar to how someone can snort cocaine or glue to get a “high”. Start reading labels – check for petro-chemicals, formaldehyde, and fragrance, and avoid them as much as possible. A clue that an ingredient may be a petro-chemical is the “prop” prefix. A clue that an ingredient releases formaldehyde is “Quaternium”. Be careful about products labeled “fragrance free” or “unscented”. Don’t trust them! Read the label and be sure they don’t list “fragrance” or “masking fragrance”. Don’t put anything on your skin you’d be afraid to eat, because the end result is the same!
Before I got sick, I had no clue that I was slowly being “poisoned” by products that I assumed were “safe” since they were on the market! If this could happen to me – YOU COULD BE NEXT.
When you choose to use fragrances, chemicals, or pesticides, You are not simply making a choice for yourself, You are making a choice for everyone around you!!!!